Monday, November 4, 2013

Wonderful...

So I came across this article written by a guy who lives in Nosara, though he's in Guiones which is the more popular beach/tourist area.   "Easy" Living in Costa Rica

I found it interesting, well written, funny, and it totally brought back memories of the last time I was there...eating in some of the restaurants he describes, shopping in the Super Nosara, and the inevitable waiting for the water to come back on.  However, this man has obviously had a way worse internet experience than I ever did when I was there!  I don't anticipate having such crazy problems, because both my partner and I can do most of our work offline if necessary.   Although I'll have an online presence, with this blog and the animal rescue, I refuse to be a slave of technology.  I'm really looking forward waking up, looking out the window and seeing trees, birds, monkeys, and probably kittens climbing up the window screens.  I can't wait to hear the ocean again.  Our goal is actually to live simply and in harmony with nature...it's not just a tag line.

I did agree with the writer's point about the strange pricing of things, and the lack (or abundance) of specific products that we take for granted when living in a big city.  It doesn't seem like he was much of a home cook back in New York though, as he seemed to fixate on restaurants and the happiness of finding pre-packaged foods.  In contrast, I love cooking and we seldom eat out..usually it's included as part of a social evening with friends.  Again, I don't anticipate having problems finding food...especially being vegetarian and creative in the kitchen :)  Plus I actually really love rice and beans, and all things taco; and those ingredients are typically plentiful.  Last time I was there, I made the *best* salsa.  Super easy, too, and all the ingredients were readily available. Here's the recipe:

1 Mango
1 Avocado
1 Tomato
1/2 Onion
1-2 cloves Garlic
1 Jalapeño
bunch of cilantro
Lime (limon) juice

Chop (dice) the mango, avocado, onion and tomato. Finely dice the garlic, cilantro and jalapeño.  Mix all together and add the juice of one lime or limon.  Done!  You now have amazing salsa.  If you want it spicier, add some of whatever hot sauce you like (I'm partial to sriracha or something similar ).  Salsa is the best thing ever.

I'm looking forward to checking out the organic market, as I didn't have a chance last time I was there.  I do, in fact, covet kale.  We're also going to be looking to buy used bicycles, a scooter or rent an atv for groceries if necessary...though I'm thankful for the amazing supportive people I know in town who were quick to call if they were headed to the store, to see if I needed a ride.  There's a great sense of community there, and I really loved the last paragraph of the article:

"I suppose that it does take a lot of stamina and patience for an individual to go this far off the grid for so long a time. But one of my close friends down here once suggested that all a person needs to flourish in this place is to be alive, and be a good human being, and the rest will naturally follow. Over these past few months, I’ve noticed that in being these two things, you tend to form an unwitting community with those around you, those other good and alive human beings who’ve decided to build a part of their lives down here, because part of that life requires you to invest, if not restore, your trust in others, to cultivate your faith that even without, you can still make do, and after a while, you start to realize you probably didn’t need that much of anything in the first place. Except duct tape. You can never have enough duct tape. But other than that, everything is going to be wonderful, wonderful, wonderful."

Duct tape is on the list!

I've been chatting a lot with my friend at the animal rescue about how things are going there with all the animals, and I can't wait to be there to help!  The absolute best thing I can imagine doing in my life is nursing and helping animals.  It's when I feel the most at peace, even if the dogs are being super loud and barking at monkeys or chasing cats.  It's definitely NOT easy work, as I've mentioned before...but I'm SO immensely excited to be going back and staying this time.

Everything IS going to be wonderful:)



No comments:

Post a Comment